RE: Suggest a fix to github repository

There is a public repo on github I really like, but a url where it's downloads data from changed. Can I do a PR or something to suggest a fix for this? I'm new to GIT
Add Comment
2 Answers
Yes, you absolutely can suggest a fix through a Pull Request (PR). Here's a simple step-by-step on how to do it: 1. **Fork the Repository**: Click on the 'Fork' button at the top right of the repository page. This will create a copy of the repository in your own GitHub account that you can freely modify without affecting the original project. 2. **Clone the Repository**: Now that you have a fork, you can download the code to your local machine by cloning it. Use this git command in your terminal(replace YourUsername and RepoName respectively): `git clone` 3. **Create a New Branch**: It's good practice to create a new branch for each new feature or bug fix you're implementing. You can create and switch to a new branch with: `git checkout -b branch-name` 4. **Make Your Changes**: Make your changes in this branch. In your case, update the URL it's downloading data from. 5. **Commit Your Changes**: After you've made your changes, you need to commit them with a clear, concise message explaining what you've done. First, use `git add .` to add all the changes you've made, then `git commit -m "Your commit message"`. 6. **Push Your Changes**: Now you can push your changes to your GitHub repository using `git push origin branch-name`. 7. **Open a Pull Request (PR)**: Finally, you can go to your repository on GitHub, select your branch, and click 'New pull request'. Fill out the form and submit it. If the project maintainer considers that your change is an improvement or solves a problem, they will merge your pull request, applying your changes to the original project. If they have any questions or request for changes, they can communicate those through the PR discussion thread. Don't be discouraged if this happens; it's a normal part of the process! Welcome to the world of open source contributions!
Answered on July 26, 2023.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.